Dozens Killed as Nigerian Army Mistakenly Bombs Refugee Camp

More than 50 people were killed when a Nigerian military jet mistakenly bombed a camp for homeless people Tuesday.

Aiming for Boko Haram militants, the attack struck Rann – a refugee camp for people internally displaced by the terrorist group, a military official said.

Aid group Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said that its members were treating 120 wounded patients in their facility in the Northern Borno state. MSF put the death toll at 52 in a statement released in the hours after the attack.

The International Committee of the Red Cross said six of its Nigerian members were among the dead.

Major General Lucky Irabor, who heads the military operation against Boko Haram militants in the area, said the air force was given coordinates of terrorists.

“Unfortunately the strike was conducted but it turned out that the locals somewhere in Rann were affected,” he told reporters at a briefing in the state capital.

The bombing comes as the Nigerian military claims more and more territory in Borno – Boko Haram’s stronghold. Last month the army said the conflict was in its final stages after 8 years of violence which has left at least 20,000 dead and over 2 million homeless.

 

дата публікації: 17-01-2017

автор:


коментарі

@Правда України

Про видання

"Правда України" створена українцями і присвячена Україні та всім проблемам, які на жаль, зараз є в Україні. Кожен може опублікувати тут свої думки, статті, вірші, прозу, пісні, фото, відео.

Підтримайте нас, будь ласка: